Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Exploring the Plantations

Back in the day before Counterstrike, Halo, or even StarCraft there was one game that captured the attention of educators and school children alike. Oregon Trail was a "school approved" game that was serious fun. It had strategy, it had death from dysentery and many other ails, it had trading and selling, river forging and trail blazin' obstacles to be overcome. Best of all it had hunting! I remember the excitement of shooting my first rabbit. Sure the bison brought home more meat, but boy were those rabbits quick and a dang to shoot. Another huge component to the game was the family you took with you. This was the first taste of what would later be The Sims. You were given 5 people to name and give careers to. The careers would help you blaze the trail and survive while doing it. I remember giving the names of my crush and future family with that crush to each character, and starting over if my crush died. Ah the nostalgic memories! I still have my copy of the game, unfortunately my computer won't run such a old game. Anyhow, what sparks a girl to reminisce about the good ol'days of educated PC games at midnight? Well I just found this: Oregon Trail: The Official Movie Trailer  I challenge those who have played the game to watch it and tell me they don't have an urge to suddenly start playing again!

Well I had planned on posting the explanation of both my name 'RiantGorkette' and my sign off 'Faith, Love and Dynamite<3', but Oregon Trail trumps useless knowledge about myself any day! Don't worry, I'll explain that stuff another day. Until then though,

Faith, Love and Dynamite<3
RiantGorkette

1 comment:

  1. i saw that too, it was awesome :D i used to play another game at school, cross country canada. you were a trucker and had to move shipments. good times :D

    ReplyDelete